Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Dr. Davis On The Issues - The Series

The size and scope of government is absolutely gigantic and needs to be reduced. What programs, departments, and process would you look to begin eliminating by reducing the funding or just cutting the program all together?


I would begin by seeking Constitutional justification for any and all programs, looking to phase out those not included in the authorization of the Constitution. While the ideal would be immediate termination, I believe that many of these programs have grown so large and intertwined that a phase out over four to six years would be more practical, so as to reduce the economic and social disruption resulting from the sudden withdrawal of employment and funding that has entered into so many individuals’ planning as an accommodation to the way the system works now.


I feel it is unfair, however theoretically justified, to make a sudden dramatic change in the rules without adequate warning, even if it is to make a return to the original rules. As a general guideline, I would advocate for any given program a 10% reduction in budget and staff the first year, 20% (of the original base) the second year, 30% the third, and the final 40% the fourth year. I would personally recommend beginning with the Department of Education and the Department of Energy, as I do not feel these belong at the federal level.


My recommendations for phasing out Social Security are already covered on my website. I would advocate elimination of the Department of Housing and Urban Development and reduction of the Department of Health and Human Services to a Public Health Service dedicated to the tracking of (and prevention of spread) of communicable diseases. I am sure others can identify preferred candidates for reduction or elimination, but I believe my examples provide an obvious place to start and plenty of work to begin on.


Dr. Richard Davis

2010 District 1 Congressional Candidate for The Maryland Libertarian Party

No comments:

Post a Comment