Monday, November 9, 2009

Kratovil Grows A Pair, Votes No On The Healthcare Bill

Frank Kratovil bucks his party leadership and votes no on the House's version of their Healthcare Bill. In his press release he gives this explanation:

“I support healthcare reform, but it must be the right kind of reform that works for my constituents in the First District. I have consistently argued for healthcare reform that reduces long-term health care spending, improves quality, and expands coverage in a fiscally responsible manner. Our nation is facing an $11.9 trillion national debt, and we simply cannot afford a bill that does not lower healthcare spending. It is also essential for healthcare reform legislation to support, not burden, our nation’s small businesses.

I was not able to support the bill before Congress today because I do not believe it meets my criteria for a sustainable solution. While I recognize the need for reform and I applaud some aspects of this bill, I do not believe that this bill offers a sustainable solution. I will continue to work with my colleagues to pursue a better bill as this process continues, and I urge constituents to continue to offer their input.”

Too bad he did not have this set of stones when he voted for Obama's stimulus package which simply printed a ton of paper that went into the big black hole of what is the national debt.

Here is what Congressman Kratovil is looking for according to his website:

  • I believe that any reform plan must begin with an understanding that any individual must be allowed to keep the coverage they have now if they so choose. I will not support any reform plan that forces consumers to give up a plan with which they are currently happy.
  • I believe that a public option may help reduce costs by increasing competition and expanding consumer choice, but it is important that any public option be forced to compete on a level playing field with private insurers.
  • I oppose taxing health benefits as income.
  • I believe we must protect small businesses and entrepreneurs from unreasonably burdensome mandates that could limit their ability to create new jobs.
On this he seems to be on target and sticking with his principles. Again, too bad he could not stick to his principles on the Stimulus Bill. With other legislation coming up in the next year where will he fall. At some point he will have to tow the party line on a major piece of legislation, one that could be tremendously devastating. He obviously made this vote to keep his job and probably got a pass from the party. You only get so many of those.

No comments:

Post a Comment