Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Dr. Davis' November Letter to Editors

As Veteran’s Day approaches, I’ve been pondering why I accepted when the chairman of the Maryland Libertarian Party asked me to run again for Congress.

I concluded that, like my service in the Navy, I owed it to my community and my country. I owe it to those who came before me – the great-great-grandfather who fought for three years in the Union Army; my father and late father-in-law who spent several of the prime years of their lives in the Army Air Force in World War II; my father’s high school friend (whose first name I carry) who died on Iwo Jima in his fourth invasion in a thirteen-month span of 1944-45; my Boy Scout buddy’s older brother, killed as an army medic in Viet Nam.

I owe it to those here with me: family, friends, neighbors and patients who live with me in a free and prosperous country that is becoming less free and less prosperous.

I owe it to those yet coming. To my children, nieces and nephews and their friends who will inherit what we leave them: the freedoms we preserve or fail to; the prosperity or debt; the peace or the unresolved conflicts; the clean air and water or the pollution.

Whether or not I serve in Congress will be up to the voters of this district, but I owe it to myself to know that I did my best to offer an alternative and to serve if I am elected.

Sincerely,

Richard J. Davis, D.D.S.

Libertarian for Congress

www.davis4congress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment