Sunday, March 6, 2011

Muir Boda's Weekly Campaign Message: Government and Real Estate

Muir Boda
Candidate for Salisbury City Council

I wanted to take a moment and share my positions on a couple of issues that have been before the City Council recently. These have been on my website, www.boda4salisbury.com under the section “How Would I Vote” and I wanted people to be clear on where I stand on some of these issues. 
Since both of these issues deal with acquiring and selling properties, it goes with my general philosophy that governments typically should not be actively involved in the Real Estate market and when it is, the approach should be with extreme caution.  I certainly understand that we need to have Fire Departments, Police Departments, Public Works and basic office space for the general operations of our government.  Governments should not be in the business of property management or for a better term a landlord, because the results are usually disastrous, such as all of the empty, boarded up homes owned by the Wicomico County Housing Authority in this city, that is another topic for another day.
So here are two recent situations that were very controversial and my position on them.
Linens of the Week
I oppose the City of Salisbury acquiring this property for several reasons.
First, the unknown costs that are potentially associated with the cleanup is not a risk worth taking.  The hopes that grants will be available to help offset the cleanup costs, is not a guarantee as the $14 Trillion National Debt should be a big warning sign.
Second, he who makes the mess should be the one to pay for the cleanup.  Sticking the taxpayer with the bill and responsibility is unfair. 
Third, is the issue of disposition after the property has been cleaned up.  The government just handing it over for free, no matter who the organization is, is not the right thing to do.  I do believe Habitat for Humanity is a great organization and if they want the property they should acquire it on their own, not as pass through from the government after taxpayers have cleaned it up.
Don’t get me wrong, I think charity is a great thing, I just don’t believe government should be in the business of forcing taxpayers to donate properties to non-profits and churches, especially after taxpayer funds have been used to fix a property up.
Bottom line:  government should have no role in this property other than ensuring the environmental cleanup is done, the property is safe and that the transaction between private parties is free of fraud.
The Old Firehouse
Despite the controversy surrounding this issue I would have voted for the sale.
I believe Palmer Gillis’ intentions are honorable and that he did not attempt to deceive anyone.  There are strict requirements in this deal and everyone must understand that an educational component is required.  Failure to adhere to the requirements will result in the building being forfeited back to the city.
The other aspect of this issue is that renovation costs could be between $500,000 to $1,000,000.  There are very few who have the resources available to pull that off and Palmer is one of those few.  He has a proven track record here in Salisbury and I hope we can all give him a chance to accomplish something that we all will benefit from.
Muir Boda
Candidate for Salisbury City Council

No comments:

Post a Comment