Friday, July 3, 2009

Thoughts on Sarah Palin's Resignation

Sarah Palin's actions today are very interesting. I have concluded that she has made the right decision. I don't view her as a quitter, I feel she has the best interests of her family and state in mind. She is smart enough to know the futile attempt at defending stupidity and realized it was causing her and her staff to be ineffective at running the State of Alaska.

This moment gave us insight into two things way up North. First, it gave her an opportunity to promote the great things she and her administration have done in Alaska. It also gave us a peek at the amount of ridiculous nonsense people deal with when they offer themselves up for public service. On that I wish to comment.

The problem with politics today are several things. First there is a need for instant information via the 24 hour news cycle. Thousand of hours are constantly filled up with talking heads and news briefs. The details and specifics are often left out, we get to the juice much faster if we are destroying someone's reputation.

The second problem is the scoop. The desire to break the story as fast as possible has allowed for some news organizations and those that claim to be, to cut corners. Nobody verifies a claim or accusation. A perfect example in my situation this past spring was when I was accused of saying something, I was even quoted. It made a website, then a local TV news organization put it out as news. The website that posted the quote never called to verify with me if I even said it. The TV station never called me to verify that I said it. I never said it. Never breathed the words, was not privy to the information that I was accused of dispensing.

This gotcha form of politics and the desire to embarrass people no matter what the costs is ruining public service. Good people are more worried about what someone may write or say about them then helping make their communities a better place. Their families do not want to see their loved ones dragged through the mud or defamed. I certainly understand how people feel but we must not be afraid of or give power to those who dispense hate and lies. We must stand up against this tyranny of hate, destruction, and perversion of the First Amendment with action, love, and helping those in our communities with humble hearts.

Sarah Palin has experienced these attack in an extreme manner. One that has cost the taxpayers of Alaska over $2 Million. Herself, she has legal bills over $500,000 for defending lies and false accusations. I have a feeling her opponents will declare victory. However, I would not want to deal with a Sarah Palin who is not restricted by the confines of the title of Governor. She will be free, unrestrained, a rabid pitbull with lipstick on the loose. I certainly would not want her as my enemy. I also say too bad she is not a Libertarian.

No comments:

Post a Comment